Energy Efficiency in Public Lighting

Efficient lighting reduces electricity demand for lighting by around 40%. In BiH the domestic and commercial lighting base is large; lighting is the main driver of the peak load. More than 7 million incandescent lights are in operation, according to the Center of Education and Raising Awareness of Energy Efficiency study. Only 20% of the

Efficient lighting reduces electricity demand for lighting by around 40%. In BiH the domestic and commercial lighting base is large; lighting is the main driver of the peak load. More than 7 million incandescent lights are in operation, according to the Center of Education and Raising Awareness of Energy Efficiency study. Only 20% of the electricity used by an incandescent bulb produces light; the remaining 80% is wasted as heat. A CFL uses all of its electricity input to produce light, saving about 80% of power consumption. Because of their design, CFLs last about 10 times longer than incandescent lamps.

In BiH, public lighting is subsidized and local government units are responsible for managing it. In the provinces, most street lighting uses inefficient lighting technologies such as fluorescent lights, incandescent bulbs, and low-pressure mercury vapor lamps. BiH could use efficient lights for public lighting to reduce the need for energy generation and avoid the associated carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

BiH lacks the legal and political base for efficient decision-making. There is not enough capability to distribute responsibilities of energy and energy efficiency through different levels of government. In addition, knowledge about energy management in municipalities is scarce. With shrinking budgets, nobody is paying attention to energy efficiency and how it can help cut costs and balance the budget. That is why capacity building is very important in this case; there is a huge potential in raising awareness of energy efficiency. This pilot project will show the energy savings and can be applied to all other municipalities in BiH.

Preliminary assessment shows that public lighting in medium-sized municipalities is responsible of 2% – 5% of the total budget, and total energy costs from 5% – 9% of the annual budget. Although, almost all municipalities have problems with budgets, still there are no initiatives or actions in energy savings.

Government Strategy for Energy Efficiency and Tackling Climate Change

Ineffective communication strategies are some of the major barriers to motivating and empowering the public to take action on climate change issues. Unfortunately, the government of Bosnia and Herzegovina doesn’t have a defined energy strategy and no legal framework to support and boost energy efficiency initiatives. Instead, the government focuses on building new energy production plants (to explore the significance of hydro and coal energy potential) to boost the economy missing to consider and promote the effect of energy efficiency improvements.

Furthermore, BiH needs to launch a national conservation program which will include activities supporting energy efficiency standards and labeling, demand-side management, energy management, recognition programs, advisory services, and monitoring.

Renewable Energy Projects in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply